Make your organic food garden a reality!Learn to grow your own at-home garden so that you can serve your family
the most nutrient-dense, local food that money can't buy
Perhaps you have:
- Tried gardening before but those pesky squirrels / rabbit / gophers / deer ate your lettuce before you could harvest them.
Sometimes the right kind of fencing can make all the difference.
- Nurtured your fruit tree but find it fails to produce fruit every year.
Some trees take longer than others to produce fruit. Some trees, need the right amount of nutrition.
- Inherited a shade garden but feel like nothing useful or edible can grow in that space.
Many of our perennial edibles are shade-tolerant. It's just a matter of knowing your plant types.
- Wanted to grow your own food for a while now, but don't know where to begin.
We've got you covered!
Wouldn't it be nice if you...
- Could grow your own produce at home (no matter the size of your yard)
- Knew which plants were perfect for your climate, soil, and sunlight needs
- Had a garden that produced enough to feed your family all year long
Well, now you can!
Introducing... Grow-It-Yourself / GIY!
GIY is a 12-month membership to ensure that your organic gardening efforts are
You’ll learn how to:
design your garden space
create a list of plants that are perfect for your location, and
have access to the resources and tools to grow an abundant garden.
Join fellow gardeners and grow at least
$700 worth of produce in 10x10 square feet*!
(*We and some of our members have proven that this number is a low estimate of what you can grow!)
GIY is a program that makes your food garden dream a reality.
Small-Space Veggie Garden
But first, a little bit about who we are.We are the Schauders!
Dave, Nicky and their six children!
- Our garden journey began when our first two kids were diagnosed with “failure to thrive” due to multiple food allergies. Because of these health issues we felt called to grow organic at home and now supply 25% of their fruits and veggies from our tiny & shady townhouse backyard.
- The more we grew, the better we felt physically, spiritually, and emotionally.
- The more we grew, the more people asked us what our secret was. So we started teaching (and continue to teach) at our local Title 1 schools.
- Grow-It-Yourself / GIY is the fruit of many years of researching, testing, and implementation combined with the experience of visiting some of our clients in different parts of the US. We wanted to offer something that we wished we had when we were just starting to grow:
& above all,
a HUGE HARVEST!
Why GIY?If you are:
- Frustrated about not being able to find local & organic produce in the market?
- Mad about the fact that "approximately 13 to 20 million agricultural US acres were treated with 18.7 million pounds of glyphosate annually." (Data from the EPA)
- Intimidated about growing your own food?
- Disappointed that each year the pests get to your veggies before you do?
- Wanting to grow more food than ever before?
Then join a program that makes organic gardening and all its complexities,
simple and strategic for you!
What's included in GIY ?
In this step-by-step permaculture gardening course you will master the very basic but essential skills of seed starting, transplanting, and harvesting. Here are the (9) nine short modules included in the program:
Every month you will meet with an experienced and accredited permaculture gardener. The benefits of having someone experienced look over your design and process are:
- You can troubleshoot any problems (think unexpected pests or plant disease) that arise from your unique growing situation.
- You get the encouragement from someone who has been there before and still managed to grow a harvest!
- You get accountability from a real, live, human person, to keep you on track with the garden goals so you never get stuck!
These calls are the heart of GIY because behind every garden is a person and often a family with their own specific needs. A garden mentor is someone who is accredited in permaculture gardening, can see the big picture, and encourage you towards your next garden goals and keep you committed!
GIY includes group coaching calls and
monthly 1:1 mentoring for 12 months!
For the 12 months that you are in our program, enjoy the benefit of being part of a private non-Facebook community where you can:
- Get clear, directed solutions to any garden problems in a safe, non-judgmental online space
- Learn from fellow gardeners who have done the program for many years and continue to garden with challenges and many successes
- Ask your specific questions about dealing with rabbits, poor soil, container gardening and so much more!
- Easily find the answers to frequently asked questions using an intuitive search function in the forums.
- Get inspired by progress pictures the community posts of their gardens.
- Share your progress and celebrate your wins with fellow gardeners across the globe!
Resources to Support You
Don't know where to begin? Or know exactly what you want to grow, but not quite sure whether your plant combinations grow well together?
Check out the resource design templates & workbooks to springboard your garden planning! In GIY, you get access to a regularly updated archive of:
- Raised bed garden plans to ensure you have a diverse array of plants to confuse the pests with!
- Seasonal checklists to help you make sure that you are caring for your tools, the soil, and preparing for unexpected weather.
- A Seed & Plant Shopping Guide so that you know where to source non-GMO, organic, and heirloom seeds and plants
- A Plant Calculator, a proprietary tool to help you calculate the number of plants you need to grow to feed your specific family.
- Your Garden Installation Day Checklist so that you can prepare all the materials and plants you need weeks before you break ground
- A printable "Planting Calendar" that helps you plot what days you will be starting your seeds, transplanting them outdoors, and harvesting your crops.
and so much more!
Rewards for achieving Milestones
We've seen our most successful gardeners become more motivated and excited to grow when they know that there are rewards at stake.
Because of this, we've included GIY challenges and contests throughout the year. We try to celebrate even your small wins by rewarding you with:
- Berry plants of your choice
- Goumi berry and elderberry cuttings for you to root and grow
- Handmade dibbers made from reclaimed wood
- Artisan & US-made garden spades
- Handcrafted pollinator habitats
SAGE: A Garden Design AppCOMING SOON!
What do you get when you combine garden know-how and technology? An app that takes the guesswork out of figuring out what to plant and when.
This software includes a planting calendar and a garden designer that will remind you when it's time to start, transplant, or harvest your crops. How cool is that?
We are garden geeks! Research and development is in our blood. We're always finding new ways to innovate and make gardening easier for everyone.
As a GIY Member you get exclusive access to the latest version of this app before its release to the public this year.
The True Cost of GIYYou get all of this for one year
PLUS! The power of knowing how to grow your own food
A step-by-step, 9-module garden course,
Access to an accredited garden mentor,
The support and inspiration of an exclusive online garden community,
Invaluable planning worksheets,
Rewards for your the work you put into your garden, mailed to you,
And a garden design app to simplify planning even more.
More importantly, you learn to grow food abundantly, season after season!
Some gardeners spend this much on one trip to their local garden center.
But they won't get the ongoing, 12-month support that you'll be getting from a GIY membership.
They won't know what to do when the pests come and decimate your kale.
They won't know why their plants died and what they could have done to keep them alive.
You've tried it alone.
Perhaps hopelessly trying to YouTube your way to garden success.
It's time for a more intentional approach.
It's time to:
Successful Gardens from our GIY Members
Through GIY Amy is learning to identify the crop varieties that do well in her Pacific Northwest climate, like swiss chard!
Who is GIY for?
- Have space to grow in (even a tiny space)
- Have a yearning to grow your own food and do it abundantly
- Want to grow organically and in harmony with nature
- Are in need of a garden mentor who has been in your shoes and can save you from newbie gardener pitfalls?
- Teach your children where their food comes from?
- Heal the planet and your body
- Want the assurance of knowing you can grow food no matter where you live, even if the groceries shut down
- Want the most local and nutrient-dense food that money can't buy
THEN GIY IS FOR YOU!
Happy Gardener Testimonials
Nicole is a Suzuki violin teacher and a homeschooling mom who has very little time to grow. She considers the garden her 'happy place."
Listen in on how Lisa's journey started with her son's allergies and how growing her own food gives allows her to feed her kids the best kind of food money can't buy.
Sandy grows in the toughest climate there is: the deserts of Arizona. She manages to grow 300 lbs. a year since joining GIY.
Emily is an authority on the connection between nutrition and PCOS. She passes on her food-growing skills to her kids.
"Nicky's garden design for my backyard is not only beautiful but maximizes space & uses permaculture principles that lead me to grow more veggies than I thought possible in my tiny space!"
Nicole F., Virginia
"The first module of the GIY course alone was a game-changer for me!"
Tracy P., Georgia
"I want to let you both know how much I enjoyed gardening and GIY this summer! Thank you!!!"
"Nicky and Dave are kind and caring and compassionate people that have helped me through successes and failures in my garden, and I have far better results than I have ever had before!
The true principles that are taught apply to any gardener, and the community provides support and accountability all through the journey.
This is one of the best investments I have ever made in a program."
Sandy S., Arizona